Your Compassionate Guide Through Divorce Proceedings
No one gets married with the intention of later filing for divorce, but irrevocable differences and changing circumstances can mean that one day it is time to go your separate ways. If you are considering filing for divorce, you will want a compassionate and supportive attorney to guide you through the complex process. Divorce proceedings can be overwhelming but SmartLaw Las Vegas can be by your side every step of the way. Las Vegas uncontested divorce attorney Sean D. Lyttle is prepared to fight for you.
Contact us online or call (702) 664-8859 to get started with a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
“Sean is an excellent, caring, and honest attorney”
Uncontested divorce, also known as stipulation divorce, comes about when a married couple mutually decides to end the marriage. While typically amicable, determining things like child custody, property division, and alimony can still be a difficult process. Nevada is a no-fault divorce state, which means that partners can file for divorce without proving that anyone did anything to cause it.
There will be a lot of important decisions to make during the divorce proceedings. Before a divorce can be finalized, significant aspects of your life after the marriage ends must be planned.
Our Las Vegas attorney can assist you with the decisions, which may involve:
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Property/asset division
In a perfect world, you and your spouse will be able to come to an agreement on these topics. Should you go the route of mediation, we are happy to accompany you to the negotiations and represent you as necessary.
If you and your spouse cannot agree on certain decisions, your case will go to family court where a judge will make decisions on your behalf. The judge will be able to determine who gets custody of your children, how much you will pay or receive in alimony or child support, and how your property and debts will be divided. During trial, our Las Vegas attorney can protect your rights and fight for a favorable outcome that is in you and your children’s best interests.
Reasons to Hire a Divorce Attorney
The “do-it-yourself” movement is alive and well in America these days, which makes people wonder if they need to hire a lawyer for their divorce. Divorce, especially when there are children involved, can be an unexpectedly complex process. Even in a seemingly simple divorce—with no children and few assets to deal with—small mistakes can have a huge impact. Like virtually all matters of legal consequence, then, divorce is generally best left to the experts.
A Las Vegas divorce lawyer can help you through your divorce for the following reasons:
- Attention to the detail: The devil is in the details when it comes to divorce, and an experienced lawyer thinks about and plans for those details. It is not the details you put into your divorce decree, but the details you leave out of it, that will cause years of litigation down the road.
- Consolidation of costs: If you and your spouse are treating each other with respect and have agreed on the major issues raised by your divorce, a single attorney can under some circumstances represent both of you in a stipulated or negotiated divorce process. Why hire two attorneys, each with his or her own fees, when you can hire just one and share the costs? A good attorney can help both of you work through any sticking points and avoid leaving the decision-making to the whims of a judge.
- Credibility: Here in Southern Nevada, there are only a relatively small number of attorneys who practice family law with any frequency. These lawyers and the judges see each other in court all the time, while you have likely never even met one of them. That personal familiarity breeds trust and credibility. Bring your own advocate, so as not to be outgunned or ignored.
- Efficiency: No one wants to spend months or even years trying to wind down a bad marriage. But many divorce litigants who take a DIY approach end up doing just that. In the hands of competent divorce counsel, even a highly contentious and complex divorce can usually be reduced to a decree in under six months, and a stipulated divorce can usually be accomplished in under thirty days. While there are of course exceptions to these general rules, a good lawyer will always strive to ensure that the process proceeds as quickly and efficiently—and that the resulting divorce decree provides as much finality and certainty as possible.
- Your time is valuable: If you had nothing but free time, perhaps you could spend hours learning about the divorce filing requirements, crunching the numbers, standing in line at the legal self-help center, and more. But if you’re like most divorce litigants, you have plenty of other things to occupy your time. A good lawyer will make the process as simple and painless for you as it can possibly be, allowing you to keep on with your life.
Work with SmartLaw Las Vegas
We know how difficult a divorce can be. It is a stressful time for both partners and for any children or other relatives who may be affected by the divorce. At SmartLaw Las Vegas, we strive to make your experience as simple and stress-free as possible. We want to take on the legal burden for you so that you can focus on your family and your future.
Get in touch with us today by calling (702) 664-8859 or reaching out using our online contact form. All legal consultations are confidential and free of charge.
Takes the Time to Know You and Your Family
Over a Decade of Experience
Full Service Family Law Firm